|K&WVR Photographs from 2010
KEIGHLEY & WORTH VALLEY RAILWAY 1976
The photographs below were taken in 1976. The negatives were rediscovered in 2010, scanned, and the images placed on this website. The colours may have faded, and the quality might be poor in some cases, but they are an interesting archive of the line some 34 years ago.
HISTORY OF THE LINE
This branch line, from Keighley to Oxenhope, opened in 1867, twenty years after the arrival of the main line at Keighley. The branch, operated by the Midland Railway, was mainly built to carry coal to the many woollen mills along the Worth Valley. However, passenger trains were able to take local people to Keighley for shopping and other activities, where there were also train connections to other areas of the north.
British Railways closed the line in 1962, and almost immediately a local group was formed to purchase the line. The branch was acquired by the Preservation Society in 1968. The 4½ mile line is now one of the best-known heritage lines in the country, and is, in 2010, the only fully complete branch line in preservation. Thus, unlike most other heritage lines, this railway is not having to consider extending the rails further along old track bed. This means that money can be invested in the existing infrastructure and rolling stock.
Also, unlike many other preserved railways, the Keighley & Worth Valley operates year round, with trains running every weekend, even in the winter months when most other lines are shut down, and daily in all school holidays.
The line has been used many times by film crews, most notably in both the television and film versions of "The Railway Children".
These photographs were taken in 1976.
Much activity at Oxenhope Station.
Locomotive 41241 at Oxenhope. The 2-6-2T loco was built
at Crewe in 1949.
When photographed in 1976 (above), the loco was painted dark red with the letters KWVR on the side.
It is still operating in 2010 (see the 2010 page), but is now in BR black.
92220 "Evening Star", the last steam locomotive
built by British Railways, was at Oxenhope Station in 1976.
In 2009, the locomotive was on display at the Swindon Steam Museum (see here).
It is expected to go to the National Railway Museum, York, in 2011.
Connecting up the vacuum pipes at Oxenhope Station.
Approaching Haworth from the south.
Haworth sidings and locomotive yard.
Signs at Oakworth Station.
The Signal Box at Damems Halt.
Probably Ingrow West Station which was not open to passengers in 1976.
Locomotive 43924 standing at Keighley Station. The 4F 0-6-0 loco was built by the Midland Railway at Derby in 1920. Sold by BR, it was the first locomotive to be rescued from Woodham Brothers scrap yard at Barry, South Wales. It was withdrawn by K&WVR in the late 1980s for a complete overhaul. It ran again in June 2011, and is expected to return to passenger service in October 2011.
Sign at Keighley Station.
General view of Oxenhope Station.
41241 at Oxenhope, showing the dark red livery and KWVR letters on the tank, mentioned earlier on this page.
|K&WVR Photographs from 2010
© Copyright M J Smith, 1976-2010
No photographs to be reproduced elsewhere without permission.