My Photographs Links Page

PRESERVED & SPECIAL INTEREST
RAILWAY PHOTOGRAPHS

 

BODMIN & WENFORD RAILWAY 2009

 

This railway was originally constructed by the Great Western Railway in two parts.  A branch from Bodmin Road (now Bodmin Parkway), on the GWR west country main line, to Bodmin General in 1887; then a connection from the Bodmin General terminus to Boscarne, joining a line owned by the London & South Western Railway, in 1888.  As Bodmin General was a terminus station, through trains would have to reverse there to continue the journey - something that still happens today on the Bodmin & Wenford.

Steam-hauled passenger trains were replaced by diesel locomotive or diesel multiple units in 1963.  Passenger services ceased completely in January 1967.


Bodmin & Wenford Railway PLC

The Bodmin Railway Preservation Society was formed in 1984 and the North Cornwall District Council purchased the railway land from British Rail, on behalf of the preservation society.  The first steam open day was in 1986, and the first passenger rides were run in 1987.  The first full passenger service between Bodmin General and Bodmin Parkway took place in October 1989, with regular services from the summer of 1990.  The line to Boscarne was opened in August 1996, following the construction of the station there.  Future plans include an extension from Boscarne towards Wadebridge.

These photographs were taken on Sunday 4th October 2009.

 

The frontage of Bodmin General Station - the railway's centre of passenger operations. 

 

Bodmin Station platform.  There is only one platform at this terminus station.

 

Bodmin General Signal Box is at the far end of the station.  It is a modern replica of the original.
At the present time it is not used for operating points or signals.

 

Platform bench with the famous GWR roundel.

 

Bench with an alternative GWR emblem.

 

4612 approaches Bodmin General.  As the station is a terminus, there is no possible over-run.

 

4612, an 0-6-0 pannier tank, was built at Swindon in 1942, and taken into preservation in 1981.

 

On the day of the visit, the one train in operation was top and tailed by 0-6-0 PTs.
This obviously avoided the need for run-rounds at the end of each journey.
The loco at the front is number 6435.

 

The train leaves Bodmin General with 4612 at the rear.

 

The train comprised six Mark 1 carriages: two dining cars serving lunch, a kitchen car, and three ordinary passenger cars.

 

The substantial workshop at Bodmin General.

 

The end of the eastern branch is Bodmin Parkway.  This station is on the National Rail main line between Penzance and Bristol.
On the steam railway platform, a traditional totem sign is used, with a modern station sign facing the National Rail side.

 

Bodmin Parkway Station platforms.

 

The Bodmin & Wenford trains terminate at platform 3, allowing transfer to and from main line services.

 

4612 awaiting the return to Bodmin General station.

 

4612 awaiting the return to Bodmin General station.

 

At Bodmin Parkway there are points and sidings allowing the transfer of rolling stock
between the preserved line and the main line.

 

WALKER LINES SIDINGS

 

Tracks lead right in to the engineering facilities in south-east Bodmin.

 

General view of the sidings.

 

Wagon awaiting restoration at Walker Lines Sidings.

 

The western branch terminates at Boscarne Junction.  This was originally a junction with the
Wenford Bridge and Wadebridge line which is no longer in use.  The line was operated by
the L&SWR, then Southern, hence the Southern-style green station sign.

 

The end of the line at Boscarne Junction.
The loco is 6435 0-6-0 PT.

 

The platform at Boscarne Junction.

 

This waiting room at Boscarne Junction was built in 2009.

 

BACK AT BODMIN GENERAL

 

6435 ready to take on water for the return trip to Bodmin Parkway.
She was built at Swindon in 1937 and preserved in 1965.

 

 

 

My Photographs Links Page

 

Copyright M J Smith, 2009
No photographs to be reproduced elsewhere without permission.

mjs@onlineweb.com